Saturday, November 12, 2011

Seasonal Music

I'm sure this only makes sense to me but I subconsciously associate records with seasons. After writing that sentence I think it may be more accurate to say I make associations between bands and seasons. Seeing as I have already adjusted things slightly it should be clear that this paradigm has been EXTENSIVELY researched. It's probably even more accurate to say that some bands, not all, are tied to a season. I better finish this post soon. I can't readily explain why this is so. Probably it has to do with the time of year I first noticed the band. Since it's Fall now, here's a record that's firmly tied to this time of year for me.



New Order : Temptation / Hurt 45 rpm

Temptation is probably the single song I've listened to the most in my entire life. The 7" and 12" have different vocal takes and slightly different lyrics. Very different from the later re-recording, this is simply perfect. It's something I associate with cold weather. Not sub-zero weather. I spent a lot of time walkmanning with this song in the Fall. Joy Division is a Winter (like in the Shining), New Order pre-Brotherhood is a Fall and everything else is warm-weather fun. This is the song I measure all songs against. Probably nothing will ever equal or surpass it for me. There's simply no way for a new song to evoke some obscure and meaningful nostalgia from me. My comparison is more along the lines of "would this have meant a lot to me if I was sixteen and lonely?" The B-side is good but certainly never resonated for me like Temptation. This is starting to seem like an excuse to babble on about this record. Anyway, it's Fall and this is for walking in the leaves. According to me.

Temptation (7" version)


Hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment